Friday, August 16, 2013

"Durp" Dissertation

DURP.
D..U..R..P.
I didn't know what it meant either until I heard it come out of my 4th grader's mouth as he got home from the 1st day of school this week. I thought it might be an acronym or code or something.
So, I asked him the obvious, "Durp. What in the world is durp and why are you saying it?"
Kid: "It means stupid or dumb."
Me: "Oh. Why are you saying things are 'durp'?"
Kid: "It's just a word, Mom. I'm not calling someone a durp! I wouldn't do that. I'm just saying it."
Me: "So I don't need to be worried about this word? You know we aren't going to say it toward anyone..."

Sidenote: The word "stupid" is rarely allowed in our house unless some outrageous action warrants the use of the word to have a teaching moment. Other words not allowed: bored, crap, shut up, sucks, butt, and any commonly-known curse words.  

In our home we have a phrase: It's not what you hear, it's what you say.

My guys hear a lot of words at school and just about everywhere else that we choose not to say in our home. They know a "red light" word--you know, the ones that come on TV and their little heads immediately whip around to see my reaction. I'm glad we've trained them that way.
Word have such power. They can start ridiculous emotional fires in a young heart.

To continue my conversation with my son, I told him it seemed like an okay use of "durp" would be if someone was truly doing something harmful or bullyish to another kid. Use "THE DURP" for good!
Here are some examples:

"Hey, you just told me my signed Billy Butler card was a fake in front of the whole class. Don't be durp!" (This actually happened yesterday, by the way.)

"You sneaked candy from Ms. M's desk. Dude, that's so durp."

So...durp. Now you know. A teaching word.

The note I put in his lunchbox today read: "Watch out for 'durps.' Love, Mom."

1 comment:

  1. I know you will probably be surprised by this, but we have very similar rules in our house. In fact, the other day, Abby asked me, "mom, what is a cuss word?" Yep, my kid had no clue about cuss words.

    ReplyDelete